Sunday, January 22, 2006

 

My Friend

Amelie is one of the best movies that I have seen last year(It was released in 2001). The movie is about a simple, fun loving and cute girl named Amelie de Poulain who had different but weird tastes in life. During her childhood, she didn’t get a chance to interact with people, which made her a reserved girl. She took life as it came and found happiness in things that she did. When she grew up, she left her house and moved to the city and worked happily in a shop.

The peculiar character of Amelie reminded me of one of my school friends. She was in my class for two years. She never talked to any of us unlessit is really necessary. She always had a smile on her face. Though she enjoyed observing the activities of her classmates, she never came forward and joined us. One can see her sitting in a corner of the class and reading a novel voraciously. But she always participated in extra curricular activities, and many a times bagged some prizes , depsite never really being serious about them. After I left the school and came to Madras for engineering, I totally forgot about her.

After four years of my stay in Madras, I came to realize that she also is in Madras! To my surprise, she mailed me, and then we had a few meetings, where we chatted over a drink.
During one of the meetings, I asked her: “You know, I always had a feeling that you were closely observing the things around you. You seem to have enjoyed those moments from outside. Why didn’t you come into the group then?”

Her reply was simply astounding: “I was very shy to talk in my earlier school days. So I found that I have nothing else to do in the class, and then I started reading and that really hooked me in. I kept on reading, and then I had little knowledge of what was happening around me. So later during my high school days, the things you talk were totally foreign to me! So I continued enjoying reading, and I have almost finished all the books in our school library!”

She also narrated a few funny incidents in her school life, where after getting into the finals of a running race, she forgot about it as she went back to the class and started reading a book!

Weird isn’t it?

Now after four years, she has changed a lot. Now that the college doesn’t have many books on literature and fiction, she needed to find something else. So she started making friends, going out with them and enjoying with them. But she is still the same old happy girl, who is very much satisfied with what she is and not at all worried or anxious about her future. That is what I am really looking for in my life on a long term basis. And this happy-go-lucky girl has found that out much faster. Great…

During these short meetings, I learned a lot from her. I learned how to be happy of what I am (One can be ambitious… not desperate), and how to handle the different phases of life.
Yesterday was the last day of our friendship, and we are parting ways. By the time she comes back from her training, I will be on a different road, still hungry, and looking for more. Now I am having the same old feeling of missing someone, with a glimmer of hope for meeting that person unexpectedly at some turn on my lonely road. I had the same feeling, when I moved away from my friends after my 10th and when I bid them goodbye after my 12th.
Best of luck my friend for your future endeavors! It has been really nice talking to you!

Comments:
if you are talking abt a "gal".. whoa! she is wonderful! exciting! to be exact!
Not that i hold a prejudice towards them.. but still.. its weird to find a gal like that.. and it can always be a pleasure to meet such people.
 
About your moving away and parting ways man, think of it like a book, a page might be turned but it remains the part of the book all the time.
 
good that the second school didnt have a library rt? it changed her :-)
 
@clash: yup.. it has been great pleasure meeting her.
@chinta: its a good attitude that can be followed. that page will remain, but it will take some time before it goes to the archives :)
@jithu: very true.. :). in fact it was the college that changed her..
 
Hey Sreejith,

Amelie was a movie I liked as well, watched it in my final year. If you liked Amelie try watching .
 
long time since i read ur blog!
its fascinating how people can find happiness in thenselves rite...like this gal.she found her buks, her own diff world.:)
 
@nightwatchmen: I have already watched the movie. amazing movie! too good it is :)
@moontalk: yeah... very true...if we are able to enjoy what we do, that is everything! that attitude is very difficult to come by..
 
If you liked Amelie, you should try "Citizen Dog", very cute tale, the story is quite funny and the aesthetic is as good (maybe even better) than in Amélie Poulain.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444778/
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?